Friday, April 8, 2011

Dressform Trial 1

Friday, April 8, 2011

I am sad and embarrassed to say this was a disaster. As you can see in my picture, it didn't go so well. "Why?" you ask? It probably had to do with the fact that I passed out twice before the first layer was even complete. Yes, I guess I am one of those girls that other do-it-yourselfers talk about on other blogs. Unfortunately, I didn't take their fainting comments into account before doing this project. I believe I am an exception to somewhat normal for the fact I am prone to fainting. This wasn't my first time. I also have really bad circulation. Darcy, my lovely helper, mentioned that my feet were dark purple more than once. After ruining my dressform cast twice (first-standing up, second-upright on my knees) I just wanted my cold wet "twin" off of me. Who knew that breathing was so important??? Obviously, I didn't.

The good news is that I will be trying again. I am not crazy; I have just devised a better plan with the help of great minds of those who do not wish to see me faint again. Hopefully, my second trial will be taking place this weekend. I will be doing only one side at a time (front/back). Taking measurements on the cast will help me line them up to cut off excess and sew them together. I really have faith that this will work!

Some helpful notes to others interesting in doing this yourself:

1. I bought two rolls of plaster gauze 8" X 5' (180"). After cutting all of the pieces out, they were barely enough to do a little more than one whole layer. As I mentioned before, other people who have done this recommend four layers.

2. I took the time to find medical scissors for cutting bandages off, and boy was I glad I did this. After reading many horror stories that included both regular scissors and blood, I wasn't going to take my chances. I found a GREAT pair of scissors at Uniformity, my local nurse/scrub store for only $5.00 + tax! Take the time to find the right scissors. You will thank yourself later. The scissors I bought are pictured also.



MORE TO COME WITH MY NEXT TRIAL!

0 comments:

Post a Comment