Monday, April 18, 2011

Dressform Trial 2B

Monday, April 18, 2011
Where did I leave off? Oh yes…to fill the cast… The first thing that Marty recommended I do is wax the inside of the cast. I was considering using more petroleum jelly but decided that would just be a gooey mess that I could do without. Therefore, I went to the nearest home improvement store and purchased Minwax paste wax. Using a couple of old towels, I rubbed the wax as best as I could inside the cast. Marty recommended that I put a thick layer on, which I was attempting. However, the pores in the cast captured most of the wax. Reaching in through the bottom, neck, and arms was very hard also. This step is frustrating but much needed.

We traced the bottom of the cast on wafleboard (you can use plywood) and marked about 3/4" in to cut out a base for the form. The foam adheres to anything it touches, therefore we figured it would make a great base to eventually use for mounting the form on a stand. We then ducktaped (yes...haha...ducktaped) the base to the form and also taped the arms shut. I recommend using something stonger because the foam pushed the cast from the ducktape on the base. It is taller than we anticipated. Surpisingly it is still level.


Using a two part polyurethane foam, we mixed both part together until it got warm and started expanding, then poured it into the form. We used about a total of one and a half red plastic cups of each part to fill the entire cast.



As you can see, parts of the cast came off easily, and others not so much. I really wish I would have been more generous with the wax! Because of this, I had to use a thin serrated knife to get the rest off. I also used the knife to cut down the arms and neck, as well as to sculpt the foam into a more symmetrical form. Doing the cast in two pieces doesn't give you the precise shaping that a full cast would.



The next step is to sand the form down. This part is what makes the foam look less realistic, and more like a dress form. I am very happy with how my form is turning out. However, when cutting some of the cast off, a little more foam was missing in a few areas than should have been. Also, the expanding foam left a couple small holes that need to be filled. I will either fill them with a little bit of canned expanding foam, or use some of the shavings remaining to pin over the areas that need filling in. Many of these "imperfections" people wouldn't even notice. I am anal about getting everything exact. I wouldn't be surprised if I do a little more sanding. Ha ha…I guess we will see! The next phase will be to make a fabric cover for my form. Any suggestions on fabric?

2 comments:

Heart Osi said...

Woah! That is looking very professional! What did you use to sand in down? Regular sanding paper? What kind of grit? Thanks!

Jade said...

Wow it has been too long since I have been on my blog. Boy do I have a lot of work to do. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. It's been so long now since I have made it. I imagine that I began with a fairly abraisive sand paper to get the shape quickly. I used a knife to even shave pieces off more quickly. As long at it is faily smooth, you will be covering it with cloth eventually. I even considered covering with batting prior to covering with the fabric. If you want to take the time to try that out, I honestly think it would be more realistic. Our bodies have a little give and take whereas my dressform is very stiff.

Post a Comment