Tuesday, June 28, 2011

DRESSFORM TRIAL 2C

Tuesday, June 28, 2011
So it has been too long since I have last posted. Since my last post, I have done…A LOT! I haven't taken as many pictures along the way as I would have liked to. Sorry!



After sanding it down, I used some pictures online as guides to mark the sides, princess lines, bust line, underbust line, waist line, and my hip line.

Second, I purchased some fun turquoise jersey fabric with stretch to create a cover that could grow/shrink if I needed to modify my dressform for any reason. I used my dressform to pin the fabric along the necessary seam lines that I marked. You can see where those were in the picture. I made one for the front right, front back, and princess front to princess back. Then I doubled both of those pieces of fabric.
I sewed all of the pieces together, then pinned the seams along the lines I marked on the dressform.


Fourth, I stapled the remaining fabric to the plywood on the bottom of my dressform.

Next, I pinned white ribbon to my dressform to make necessary lines easily visible for working.

Following that, I traced and cut out pieces of cardboard to cover the exposed foam where the neck and arms were located. I hot-glued the fabric around the cardboard pieces and pinned those in place to finish the form.

The last thing I did was create a base that is my heighth. I will not go into detail on how the base was assembled unless someone inquires about it.


I still have yet to sand the base down smoothly, paint it white to go with my color theme, and glue the form to the base (I'm not quite sure if I should glue it or not). Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Heart Osi said...

Wow! Really love how it came out. You've inspired me to go ahead and make a dress form too! :)

Jade said...

I was very pleased with how it turned out as well. I ended up taking off the ribbon I used to make the measurement lines because it would catch on things. Just a heads up for making your own. I'm glad I have inspired you! That is so exciting! Good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions. I will really try and keep up with my blog better. I have done too much since my last post.........a long....time...ago. :-P

Anonymous said...

Hi. I realize that it's been a while since you posted this, but I felt the need to comment on your work. First of all your dress form looks great!

I was actually trying to make one today, well the body cast to be exact, and of course I nearly fainted like you did. We had to cut it of befpre it was anywere near dry enough, and now I'm left with nothing but a huge mess! I should have read your post earlier, then I would've probably split the body casting into two parts like you did. Seems like a much better idea to me. Guess I will be doing that next time around, though I do have to buy more plaster gauss before I attempt again. Hopefully I will find one that will dry faster as well, as I think that might have been part of the problem also :)

Post a Comment